• I've just come to Cambridge and want to road race. What do you offer?

A lot. CUCC are a very strong road racing club and compete frequently in local, student and national events year-round. There's a wealth of information on this website about what we get up to, or you can get in touch with our racing captain on the Committee Page.

  • OK, so when and where do you train?

Group rides usually leave from Brookside at 9:00 on a Saturday, and Sunday and we have turbo sessions during the winter. To keep up to date with training join the WhatsApp chats and sign on to the mailing list here. (Links to join the WhatsApp chats are at the bottom of every email).  There are varying speeds of rides on both of these days, and also Touring rides that go a little slower with the aim of actually seeing things!. See our Training & Events page for more information and a guide to group riding which details CUCCs conventions and ground rules. 

  • Right, so road riding's not my thing, but I do want to race mountain bikes. What do you do?

Despite the local terrain, there is a very strong group of mountain bikers within CUCC. We compete at a number of events from traditional XC races, to Enduro rides (winter and summer series at Thetford forest nearby, and others in Wales for example) to Trailquest (mountain bike orienteering) to 24hour teamrides (Red Bull Mountain Mayhem, Shimano Sleepless in the Saddle). CUCC is represented at the BUCS student champs each year in DownHill. We also have an annual race against the Dark Side (Oxford) mountain bike club.

  • Hmmm, I've ridden a lot but never really raced. Are 'beginners' catered for?

Yes! Any riders wishing to race are appreciated, regardless of experience.

  • Well, to be honest, racing isn't my thing, can I just go out and ride with someone for company locally?

Yes, of couse. 'Just' going for a ride is fundamental to the sport. Going out, either on or off road, in the local area is very pleasant and a great way to keep fit. If you don't fancy the higher speeds of the road groups, our touring secretary is the person to get in touch with. If you fancy a chilled out ride off road then email the CUCC mailing list or WhatsApp groups. 

  • I like the sound of all this, but I'm worried I'm not fit enough

That's always something that can be improved upon. If you're road riding, then it would be advisable to go out with the slower groups to start with until you can guage where you stand a little better. With the mountain bike rides, things are generally a little more relaxed and we'll wait for anyone who drops behind.

  • Do you ever get together, out of lycra?

We have been known to...! Throughout term there are Formals (typically 2 or 3) , pub trips and post race meals.

  • All this is cool. One snag, I have a valuable bike - how do I prevent it from being stolen?

Cambridge is renowned for its bike crime, and our advice is to use it only for training or racing, not general riding about town. Even if it is locked up securely, it would come as no suprise if someone nicked your saddle/wheels/handlebars or just vandalised it. Investing in a strong lock is always a good plan if you haven't done so already as is checking up on your insurance.To find out about the bike storage facilities (or lack of them) at individual colleges please contact a member of the comittee. 

You may be suprised that you may be able to get your bike covered by your parents existing house insurance policy (if you're an undergrad), and on your contents insurance (if you're a postgrad or undergrad in a house of no more than 3 people; the Prudential or Marks and Spencers contents insurance is good for this). If you're sharing a hostel then it is unlikely that any insurer other than Endsleigh will touch you for anything let alone a bike. In these circumstances your only option may be through people like British Cycling or the CTC.